Friday, January 16, 2009

humility and sovereignty

Psalm 16, Proverbs 16

Proverbs 16: 5 The Lord detests the proud;
      they will surely be punished. ...

 18 Pride goes before destruction,
      and haughtiness before a fall.

 19 Better to live humbly with the poor
      than to share plunder with the proud.

I am so stinking proud!  I need humility!.  But how do you just get humility?  Has anyone seen a vending machine stocked with humility?

Proverbs 16:9 We can make our plans,
      but the Lord determines our steps.

I need to trust the Lord's sovereignty.  I need to make plans according to the Holy Spirit's leading wise council.  But at the same time, I have to acknowledge that I am so vulnerable to deception and wandering, so I must trust that He will lead me where He wants me.  He is able and willing.  He demonstrated this at the Cross.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I need you so much!  I am so ignorant of how proud I am; it is disgusting.  Lord, please forgive me and make me humble.  Lord, if I could just see your face and know you, I would better see who I am and how I desperately need you.  Lord, you are my inheritance.  I pray that you will be the center of my motives.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment