Saturday, January 10, 2009

doing the right thing because it is the right thing

Psalm 10, Proverbs 10

I received a gift card to Chili's as a Christmas gift, and to simultaneously fulfill several of our New Year's resolutions, we decided to walk to dinner.  It was such a beautiful evening, and my wife and I really enjoyed the time together.  During part of our conversation, we talked about the necessity to eat healthy food not for the results of weight loss, but for long-term health.  After dinner, we were very please with ourselves for eating tasty, moderately portioned, healthy meals.  And the time together walking was so satisfying.

As I read the Scriptures this morning (especially Proverbs), I saw several demonstrations of living rightly.  Of course, there are tangible benefits to doing what is right, but the real motivation for why we should live righteously is because it is the right thing to do.  It honors God for us to love His character and reflect His person in the way we behave.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that I will know you and seek you.  Lord, please reveal yourself to me and mold me into the image of Christ.  Please make me a righteous man, not for my benefits, but for your glory.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment