Thursday, January 15, 2009

Scripture memory

Psalm 15, Proverbs 15

Proverbs 15:9 The LORD detests the way of the wicked
       but he loves those who pursue righteousness.

Psalm 15:1 LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
       Who may live on your holy hill?
 2 He whose walk is blameless
       and who does what is righteous,
       who speaks the truth from his heart.

For me, one of the most challenging and most rewarding aspects of "pursuing righteousness" is memorizing Scripture.  Over the past week, I entered into an accountability for weekly Scripture memory with Brothers Bill and Ryan.  Several years ago, I memorized John 15:1-17, so my memory goal this week is to re-memorize that passage.  Last night I spent a couple of hours compiling and organizing a list that includes most of the Scriptures that I have ever memorized.  It is embarrassing that it is such a tiny portion of the Bible.  Over the next few weeks, my goal is to expand a list of weekly Scripture memory chunks that I memorized in 2007.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I want to dwell with you and worship you in your sanctuary.  I want to live with you on your holy hill.  Lord, please make my walk blameless, and make me a righteous man.  I pray that you will fill me with your Word, which is Christ, so that I may speak the Truth from the Scriptures stored in my heart.  Lord, please change me, by the power of your Word.  May my dedication to memorize your Word be free of legalism and honor you.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment