Monday, January 19, 2009

delighting in Him

Psalm 19, Proverbs 19

Our pastor is preaching from Psalm 119, and yesterday he preached about treasuring the Word of God.  My wife and I agreed that the most challenging point from yesterday's sermon was how to delight in the law of the Lord.  I can read the Word religiously, and I can memorize the Word religiously and self-righteously, but how do I delight in the Word?  How do I delight in the Word more than money, cheesecake, or football?

I think these verses from Psalm this morning "shed some light" (haha, pun intended):

 7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
       reviving the soul.
       The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
       making wise the simple.

 8 The precepts of the LORD are right,
       giving joy to the heart.
       The commands of the LORD are radiant,
       giving light to the eyes.

 9 The fear of the LORD is pure,
       enduring forever.
       The ordinances of the LORD are sure
       and altogether righteous.

 10 They are more precious than gold,
       than much pure gold;
       they are sweeter than honey,
       than honey from the comb.

 11 By them is your servant warned;
       in keeping them there is great reward.

 12 Who can discern his errors?
       Forgive my hidden faults.

 13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
       may they not rule over me.
       Then will I be blameless,
       innocent of great transgression.

 14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
       be pleasing in your sight,
       O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that I will love you, enjoy you, and delight in you more than anything in this world.  Please forgive me for taking so long to see you more valuable than any other.  Truly Lord, may not only what I say, but may the attitude of my heart and the thoughts of my mind please you because you have molded me into Christ.  You are Yahweh, my stronghold.  Jesus Christ, thank you for redeeming me from sin by the payment of your blood on the Cross.  Holy Spirit, I want to walk with you today; please produce your fruit in me.  I ask these in the name of the Son, Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment