Tuesday, January 27, 2009

worship

Psalm 27, Proverbs 27

Last night at Perspectives, Steve Hawthorne outlined God's mission throughout the Scriptures:  God blesses people to bless then nations so that all of creation will bless God.  This is worship: from Him, through Him, and to Him (Rom. 11:36).  A popular evangelical catchphrase: "Mission exists because worship doesn't."

I was so encouraged as I read Psalm 27 this morning; several of these verses reverberated the concept of worship:

4 The one thing I ask of the Lord
      the thing I seek most—
   is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
      delighting in the Lord's perfections
      and meditating in his Temple.
5 For he will conceal me there when troubles come;
      he will hide me in his sanctuary.
      He will place me out of reach on a high rock.
6 Then I will hold my head high
      above my enemies who surround me.
   At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy,
      singing and praising the Lord with music.
7 Hear me as I pray, O Lord.
      Be merciful and answer me!
 8 My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me."
      And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please teach me to worship you in spirit and in truth.  Lord God, Creator, and Redeemer, please inspire my heart and soul with songs of praise to you.  Lord, please help me realize your goodness and glory, and may I be drawn more and more to worship you.  Lord, please turn my heart toward you and fill me with love for you, because you are so good!  May you receive honor and glory from my life.  May your reputation be demonstrated in my life.  I love you.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment