Friday, January 23, 2009

He is with me

Psalm 23,  Proverbs 23

I don't feel like Psalm 23:1 is true right now.  I don't feel like verse 2 is true right now.  But I pray them nonetheless. I don't feel like He is with me right now (v. 4), but I know that He is.  I guess I kind of feel like Elijah running away after Jezebel threatened him after the "mountain top" experience with God.  It's amazing how fickle we are.  I don't really know how to change my attitude.  I try to set my mind on the spirit (Romans 8), but my soul still feels troubled and defeated. 

I feel like I work so hard, but I feel like God is in no hurry to get anywhere or get anything accomplished.  I feel like His time schedule is so incredibly long that not much really happens during the blip of my lifespan on His timetable.  I know that what He really wants is me abiding in Him (John 15), resting in Him (Hebrews 4), and then "be-ing" will naturally result (Matthew 5).  It's just tough to do, you know?  It's so abstract, so spiritual.  Working is so concrete, so fleshy and intellectual.  It seems like we could get so much more accomplished if He would hurry up.  I don't understand why He doesn't save the world and sanctify us all in a couple of days.  I know He is able, and the fact that He doesn't tends to make me cynical.  I try to change my attitude, but I don't know if it is possible.

I know how my mom would respond to the previous paragraph:

Phil. 4:4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

This is consistent with these verses in Proverbs 23:

 17 Don't envy sinners,
      but always continue to fear the Lord.
 18 You will be rewarded for this;
      your hope will not be disappointed.

 19 My child, listen and be wise:
      Keep your heart on the right course. ...
 26 O my son, give me your heart.
      May your eyes take delight in following my ways.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, even though I don't feel it, I trust in you.  Lord, in faith I rejoice in you.  I desire to worship you in spirit and in truth.  Holy Spirit, please change my attitude to glorify you and trust you in spite of my feelings.  I pray that you will guard my mind.  May I delight in you only.  Give me grace.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment