Monday, May 19, 2008

kingship

1 Kings 2:13-3:28; 2 Chronicles 1:1-13; Psalm 72

observations:

  1. The first thing King Solomon did when he took over was tidy up the place - morally.  There were several people responsible for egregious injustices, and since the king is responsible for overseeing justice, justice was served.  I think this extends to the Believer; there are aspects of my kingdom (i.e., my life) that need to be executed because they are wicked outcrops of the flesh.  In order to honor Yahweh, I must put them to death.
  2. Solomon offered 1000 sacrifices to Yahweh, and then Yahweh appeared to him in a dream.  Coincidence?  I think not.  I think Yahweh would reveal Himself more to me if I sacrificed more.  I think His personal revelation is somewhat proportional to my sacrifice.  I think this connection is implicit in Romans 12:1-2.
  3. There are a whole bunch of analogies with King David representing Christ and King Solomon representing the Believer.  For instance, King David's heart was that King Solomon build a temple to Yahweh.  Helloo!!!  Christ desires that we be built on His foundation into a temple of the Living God!!!
  4. This analogy is also apparent throughout Psalm 72, which is prophetic to King Solomon, Christ Himself, and the Believer.  The conclusion of the Psalm resonates our fundamental purpose:
17 May his name endure forever;
       may it continue as long as the sun.
       All nations will be blessed through him,
       and they will call him blessed.

 18 Praise be to the LORD God, the God of Israel,
       who alone does marvelous deeds.

 19 Praise be to his glorious name forever;
       may the whole earth be filled with his glory.
       Amen and Amen.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I praise you for the incredible works of your hands.  Your creation is a testimony of your greatness.  Thank you for the redemptive work of Christ that empowers us to return to your objective with us in Creation.  I pray that I will be a holy King of Justice, allowing your Spirit to control me and honor you.  I pray that my life will demonstrate genuine sacrifice that honors you, and I ask you to reveal yourself to me.  May your Name be exalted among the nations, may you receive praise and honor, and may the whole earth be filled with your glory.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment