Thursday, May 8, 2008

sin and sacrifice

2 Samuel 24:1-25, 1 Chronicles 21:1-30, 2 Samuel 15:7-36

King David sinned greatly by taking a census of "his" fighting men - basically like "let's see how many soldiers I have so I can feel good about how powerful of a king I am."  Uh-oh!

New plan:  don't do that!

After he counted his men, he realized he had messed up big time.  God sent King David's adviser Gad to give him these three options: 
  1. three years of famine
  2. three months of war with neighboring armies
  3. three days of plague from the Lord
Here's how David responded (1 Chronicles 21):

13 "I'm in a desperate situation!" David replied to Gad. "But let me fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is very great. Do not let me fall into human hands."

David recognized that even though Yahweh is just, He is also miraculously merciful. 

God halted the plague at the threshing floor of Araunah, and King David asked Araunah if he could purchase the property and build an alter to the Lord.  Arauna offered to give it to King David, but David paid him 50 shekels of silver for the oxen and 600 shekels of gold for the property (1 Chronicles 21):

24 But King David replied to Araunah, "No, I insist on buying it for the full price. I will not take what is yours and give it to the Lord. I will not present burnt offerings that have cost me nothing!"

Observed truths:  The consequence of sin is death, but Yahweh is merciful.  Sacrifice means what it means because of what it costs.  Yahweh wants my whole life; He wants me  to be a "living sacrifice" (an oxymoron).

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that you will show me how to be a living sacrifice.  God, I pray that I would give up everything in pursuit of You.  O Father, I pray that you will be the one thing I seek with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  I want to love you with all of who I am.  I ask that you will humble me and prevent me from "taking a census" of my life.  May I boast only of the majesty of your Name.  May I be an example of a disciple of Jesus Christ.  It is in His name that I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment