Tuesday, May 13, 2008

mercy

 
Joab killed Absolom, who had attempted a coup d'etat, so King David returned to the palace from his hiding.  One of the people that greeted him on his return was Shimei son of Gera, who had cursed King David as he was feeling from Absolom (of course, Shimei's attitude had changed considerably):
19:18 ... When Shimei son of Gera crossed the Jordan, he fell prostrate before the king 19 and said to him, "May my lord not hold me guilty. Do not remember how your servant did wrong on the day my lord the king left Jerusalem. May the king put it out of his mind. 20 For I your servant know that I have sinned, but today I have come here as the first of the whole house of Joseph to come down and meet my lord the king."  21 Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said, "Shouldn't Shimei be put to death for this? He cursed the LORD's anointed."  22 David replied, "What do you and I have in common, you sons of Zeruiah? This day you have become my adversaries! Should anyone be put to death in Israel today? Do I not know that today I am king over Israel?" 23 So the king said to Shimei, "You shall not die." And the king promised him on oath.
Shimei is a type of humanity. We have each cursed the King, Yahweh's anointed, that is, Jesus Christ.  Indeed, we should each be put to death, as Shimei should have been, but the King is merciful.  The day we fall at his feet and ask for mercy is the day we become friends instead of objects of wrath.  He promises us life, on His oath.  When we consider our offenses and the wrath we have been spared, we will have an attitude like King David:
84:9 Look upon our shield, O God;
       look with favor on your anointed one.
 10 Better is one day in your courts
       than a thousand elsewhere;
       I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
       than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
 11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
       the LORD bestows favor and honor;
       no good thing does he withhold
       from those whose walk is blameless.
 12 O LORD Almighty,
       blessed is the man who trusts in you.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the mercy you have shown me.  May I live in response to the grace I have received.  May I never forget your infinite love; may I never take your love for granted.  I pray that you will rescue me from the Enemy that seeks to destroy me.  May you give me victory over the Enemy, and may I live a holy life before you.  Father, please clean my hands so that I may lift them up to you; please clean my heart so that I may be a vessel for your Holy Spirit to flow through.  May the words of my mouth and the attitude of my heart be pleasing in your sight, my God.  I pray that you will set my mind on the Spirit today - that I may enjoy your Zoe life and your perfect peace.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment