Monday, May 5, 2008

warrior / blessings

 
Benaiah was a hoss!  He was one of David's most famous Thirty.  2 Samuel 23:20-21 explains how he was a "valiant warrior".  Just hearing those few verses makes me want to go into battle!  I think the two Moabite champions, the lion, and Egyptian champion that he defeated are types of Satan.  I think Benaiah's heart was similar to King David when he faced Goliath.  He was focused on the greatness of Yahweh, not on the strength of the enemy.  It seems silly when you compare the strength of the enemy (finite) to the strength of Yahweh (infinite).  I am allied with the Creator of the universe, and He desires me to be victorious over the enemy!  Not that it won't require a fight on my part, but I know who will be victorious.
 
When my wife and I went to visit New York City two summers ago, we went to church at the Brooklyn Tabernacle.  Pastor Cymbala preached on 1 Chronicles 17, and his sermon was so powerful.  Basically, he said that David's heart was for God's name to be lifted up, so God was pleased with David.  Then God said, "So, you want to build me a house, huh?  Well, how about I build you a 'house'!  I will sustain your house forever!"
 
This principle is so true.  As we turn our hearts toward Him, Yahweh blesses us.  It's so backwards.  You would think we should have to work and work and work to try to pay off the debt we owe, but instead He shows us grace and mercy by forgiving our sins, and then He blesses us on top of that!
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that you will give me the spirit of a warrior.  Lord, I pray that you will raise me up to fight like Benaiah!  I want to not only defend myself and my wife, but Lord, I pray that you will enable me, in humble obedience according to your grace, to go after the Enemy.  I pray that your Holy Spirit will break the chains of bondage and defeat the Enemy in the lives of those around me; may I be an instrument of your grace used as a living sacrifice for your good Will.  Lord, I thank you for the blessing of eternal life and the Kingdom of Christ that you set up in the line of King David.  I thank you for the promise of everlasting life and the promise of blessing as I am committed to making your name great among the nations.  Father, I pray that you will purify my mind; Lord, please set my mind on the spirit.  I ask for victory in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment