Thursday, May 29, 2008

sonship

 
I love Proverbs 8 - I never get tired of it.  I know, I know, it's a Sunday School answer, but it really is all about Jesus!
7 My mouth speaks what is true,
       for my lips detest wickedness.
 8 All the words of my mouth are just;
       none of them is crooked or perverse.
Who is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life"?
 15 By me kings reign
       and rulers make laws that are just;
 16 by me princes govern,
       and all nobles who rule on earth.
Who is the "King of Kings, and the Lord of Lords"?
 17 I love those who love me,
       and those who seek me find me.
Does John 3:16 ring a bell?
 22 "The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works, 
       before his deeds of old;
 23 I was appointed from eternity,
       from the beginning, before the world began.
 24 When there were no oceans, I was given birth,
       when there were no springs abounding with water;
 25 before the mountains were settled in place,
       before the hills, I was given birth,
 26 before he made the earth or its fields
       or any of the dust of the world.
Hello?  It's all about Jesus!
 
My Brother Mike was explaining to me yesterday about how Jesus is both the "only begotten son" and the "firstborn son."  I think John 3:16 and the verses listed above speak of his "only begotten" Sonship that is timeless because He is deity.  However, in Acts 13:30-33 and Romans 8:28-30, we see the "firstborn" concept associated with His humanity (and the Resurrection, in particular):
30But God raised him from the dead, 31and for many days he appeared to those who had come up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now his witnesses to the people. 32And we bring you the good news that what God promised to the fathers, 33 this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm,
    "'You are my Son,
   today I have begotten you.'
 
28And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing yourself to me through your Word.  Thank you for showing me Jesus and calling me to be your son.  Lord, help me love you with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength. I want to seek first your Kingdom and your Righteousness.  I pray that you will give me the Wisdom of Christ and that I will express you today.  Lord, please purify me, and conform me to the image of Jesus.  I ask this in His Holy name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment