Thursday, May 15, 2008

serving the LORD

 
Whew!  That's a lot of names.  Something that I think is cool is that they were appointed by Yahweh to serve in the tabernacle/temple.  They cast lots and trusted that God was in control of the decision.  People dedicated their entire professional life to Yahweh based on the "roll of dice", which they did not see as random, but rather, ordained by Yahweh.  That's faith.
23:24 These were the descendants of Levi by their families—the heads of families as they were registered under their names and counted individually, that is, the workers twenty years old or more who served in the temple of the LORD. ... 28 The duty of the Levites was to help Aaron's descendants in the service of the temple of the LORD : to be in charge of the courtyards, the side rooms, the purification of all sacred things and the performance of other duties at the house of God. 29 They were in charge of the bread set out on the table, the flour for the grain offerings, the unleavened wafers, the baking and the mixing, and all measurements of quantity and size. 30 They were also to stand every morning to thank and praise the LORD. They were to do the same in the evening 31 and whenever burnt offerings were presented to the LORD on Sabbaths and at New Moon festivals and at appointed feasts. They were to serve before the LORD regularly in the proper number and in the way prescribed for them. 32 And so the Levites carried out their responsibilities for the Tent of Meeting, for the Holy Place and, under their brothers the descendants of Aaron, for the service of the temple of the LORD.
I want to commit my entire existence to His service; whether it is teaching Bible study, reading my Bible, helping a lady in our church move some stuff, washing the dishes at my apartment, processing research data from my laboratory experiments, or talking to a friend on the phone.  I want to have a heart for Him.  I want to live my whole life as a sacrifice of praise.  I certainly don't feel like that right now.  I pray that He turns my heart toward Him and that I will find the joy of serving Him precisely how He has called me.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I want to stand every morning and evening to thank and praise you, Yahweh.  I pray that my life will be a burnt offering before you, and that my life will be a festival of celebrating the redemptive and creative work of Christ in my life.  May you be glorified.  I pray this in the name of Jesus.  amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment