Wednesday, May 7, 2008

redemption

 
King David's son Absolom was banished from his presence because the Absolom had killed his brother Amnon.  A wise woman spoke on behalf of King David's military leader Joab, and at the end of her request, we find this verse in 2 Samuel 14.  It gripped my soul when I read it this morning:
14 Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him.
What a powerful analogy!  The irreversible consequence of sin is death (Genesis 2:16-17, Romans 3:23, 6:23).  However, instead of sending all of us to hell, He created a way for us to be reconciled to Him - by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 5:8, 10:9-10, Ephesians 2:8-9).  Jesus Christ is the quintessential identity of our redemption! (Ephesians 1:7, John 14:6)
 
Application:  I will marvel at the reconciling work of the Father through the atoning work of Jesus Christ.  I will cooperate with His Holy Spirit as He leads me to share this wonderful story of how we "may not remain estranged from Him".  I will boldly proclaim His love to those around me.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, you are faithful and righteous.  Your Word is true.  I have sinned, and I must die.  But by faith in Jesus Christ, the eternal death penalty of my sin has been paid by the shedding of the innocent blood of Jesus Christ.  Thank you, Father, for allowing me to come into your presence because you have washed me in His blood.  May I live in response of the grace I have received.  May my life be devoted to sharing the Good News of reconciliation through Jesus Christ, and may the light of your truth shine in the darkness.  I pray that you will set the captives free from the dark dungeons of sin and death.  May your Holy Spirit guide me in Zoe life today as you defeat the Enemy against us.  I praise your Holy Name.  You are Yahweh - Father, Son, and Spirit.  I praise you.  May your name be exalted among the nations.  I pray according to your Word and your Perfect Will, in the name of Jesus Christ, my Redeemer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment