Wednesday, May 21, 2008

temple

 
Solomon was considering the construction of the Temple of Yahweh when he thought about God living inside an earthly building:
 2:5 "The temple I am going to build will be great, because our God is greater than all other gods. 6 But who is able to build a temple for him, since the heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain him? Who then am I to build a temple for him, except as a place to burn sacrifices before him?
The temple would not contain God!  God designed for His Spirit to reside in each of us.  I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 and Romans 12:1-2:
6:19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
 
12:1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
When King Solomon asked Hiram king of Tyre for logs from Lebanon, 
 2:11 Hiram king of Tyre replied by letter to Solomon:
       "Because the LORD loves his people, he has made you their king." 
 12 And Hiram added:
       "Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, who made heaven and earth! He has given King David a wise son, endowed with intelligence and discernment, who will build a temple for the LORD and a palace for himself.
It is interesting that when King Solomon started doing what he was called to do, people outside of Israel honored the authority of Yahweh and acknowledged Him as the Creator of heaven and earth.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you that you are so far beyond this Creation that nothing can contain you.  I praise you that you created us with the ability to experience the presence of your Holy Spirit inside us.  Father, may I be a temple of sacrifice and praise to your Holy Name.  I pray that you will be glorified as I live, that you will transform me by renewing my mind, and that I will be a living sacrifice.  I pray that people will come to recognize you as the Creator and Yahweh, the one true God as I follow your calling on my life.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, the foundation of this temple.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment