Monday, January 28, 2008

Jehovah's Sovereignty

 
I am impressed with a "small-scale turbulence" or "local variable" sovereignty (to use an environmental fluid mechanics term or computer programming term, respectively) complimenting a "large-scale turbulence" or "global variable" sovereignty.  Jehovah is clearly in control of Joseph's life, and He even works good from Joseph's brothers' intended evil.  They meant it for harm, but Jehovah used their ploy to (1) develop Joseph's character and (2) place him in leadership of the most powerful nation in the world.  Joseph was then able to administrate one of the most widespread and sustained hunger relief programs in history!  Joseph's steady, faithful obedience allows him to be used by Jehovah, and Joseph is faithful to give Jehovah the credit. (Genesis 15:12-14) And that's just the small-scale sovereignty!
 
The "large-scale turbulence" sovereignty plays off of Genesis 15:12-14,  where Jehovah promises Abraham that his descendants will be slaves for 400 years, but that He would save them.  Jehovah allowed/controlled these circumstances such that Jacob and his family would end up in Egypt, so that their descendants would become slaves, so that Jehovah could show His power and reveal His identity to the Israelites.
 
Truth:  Jehovah allows/ordains trials to grow my character and reveal Himself to me and others in my life.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for being in control.  Thank you that you never allow me to be tempted or tried beyond what I can bear, but by grace through faith, I may obey you.  Lord, I pray that I will seek your face and not only your hand.  I beg you to reveal yourself to me, and may I demonstrate a faithfulness toward you like Joseph did.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment