Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Elihu's preface

 
After all of Job's whining, it is refreshing to hear someone talk about God's sovereignty and majesty.  Elihu is the last person to speak before God rebukes Job personally.  It's almost like Elihu is preparing Job for God's address.
 
One verse that really ministers to me this morning is in Job 36:
16 "God is leading you away from danger, Job,
      to a place free from distress.
      He is setting your table with the best food.
This reminds me of Psalm 23, and it is a summary of the Christian life and a promise of the hope of everlasting life with God in Heaven.  How sweet of a thought, that we can be focused on the goodness to come - that such a focus is encouraged.  If we focus on the things here and now, we will be depressed like Job.  All this stuff is going to pass away, but we can set our eyes on Jesus Christ and His future glory.  We can, in a way, escape the troubles of this life by setting our thoughts on things above.  At the same time, we recognize that the Lord uses the troubles of this life to shape us into little pictures of Christ.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that shows us who you are and that you are always in control.  Lord, thank you for giving me hope of eternal life with you through the blood of Jesus Christ.  Lord, I pray that my hope will be evident to those around me, and that you will use me to bring hope to others.  Lord, I pray that I will have the proper attitude of persevering through trials because I know that you are using all things for your glory and my good.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment