Friday, January 11, 2008

faithful where you are

Job 22-26
 
More of the same. 
Job - "I've been so wronged.  God punishes righteous people, and he blesses the wicked.  God hates me.  Wah. Wah. Wah."
Friends - "It's because you did something really bad."
Job - "You're a lousy friend."
Friends - "You're a lousy person.  No wonder God doesn't like you."
...
Tragically, such a small proportion of their rhetoric is true.
 
Anyway, my wife and I had the opportunity to visit with some long-term missionaries in Hong Kong.  My wife and I have been interested in missions, tentmaking, or Business as Missions (BAM) for a couple of years.  We submitted ourselves to the call of the LORD this past year - wherever He leads, we'll go.  No we are trying to figure out where He is leading.  The principle that I walked away from our visit with was that I need to be faithful with what the LORD has given me, and He will lead me beyond that in His timing.
 
Application - I am currently working on my pHd (I like to write it like that because my dissertation research involves a lot of chemistry, and I think it's funny that, since it's in development, the cases are all wrong - true ironic humour), I need to take three courses this semester (a huge graduate load), I need to write my dissertation proposal this semester, I need to get some laboratory research done, I am going to start teaching a Sunday School class this Sunday, I need to be a good husband, I need to be a good friend, I need to invest in personal Bible study every day ....   So, I really wrestle with, "What is my best?"  I simply can not devote all of my time and resources to each of my responsibilities, so I must find a compromising balance between all of my responsibilities.  All of that to say that the missionary's words to me last night were right on the money.  I need to seek the LORD's wisdom about how to be faithful with where He has placed me.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you that you are an ever-present, God-with-us through Jesus Christ and your Holy Spirit.  Thank you for hearing, caring about, and answering my prayers.  Lord, I pray that you will give me wisdom to know how to invest my time and energy to glorify you.  I pray that I would not neglect any responsibilities you have called me to, and that I will drop any selfish ambitions.  Lord, I pray for your Will to be accomplished in my life this semester.  Lord, I pray that I would have the right attitude - do not let me groan and be miserable like Job, but may I be full of your Spirit and His Fruit.  I pray that you will glorify yourself, and I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment