Thursday, January 10, 2008

embittered

 
Job's gettin' pretty sassy, and he's fairly audacious in chapter 21 where he accuses God of punishing the innocent and prospering the wicked (directly the opposite of many Psalms and Proverbs).  I know he's embittered by his circumstances and the fact that his friends and family don't believe him (chapter 20), but some of the stuff he says is heresy.  As I mentioned in a previous blog, it is so critical that we are careful with our theology, especially under the influence of emotion.
 
For instance, the parents of the rebellious family member I mentioned in a recent blog are faithfully trusting that the LORD will work in this person's life.  I know that they have a lot of emotion associated with this person and circumstance, but I believe that they are sincerely trusting God and not making any interpretations about who He is based on what happens in this situation.  God is infinitely good, loving, and kind - always, forever - regardless of our perception.
 
In spite of Job's egocentricity, God still speaks some great Messianic and eschatelogical prophecy through his rhetoric:
19:25 "But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,
      and he will stand upon the earth at last.
 26 And after my body has decayed,
      yet in my body I will see God!
 27 I will see him for myself.
      Yes, I will see him with my own eyes.
      I am overwhelmed at the thought!
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for being unchanging.  Help me believe in you even when I don't "feel" like it.  Why am I so swayed by fleeting emotion?  Help me be stayed on the eternally stable foundation of Jesus Christ.  I know that my Redeemer lives!  Thank you for the hope of resurrection life with my Savior.  I am overwhelmed at the thought!  I pray in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment