Thursday, January 24, 2008

the LORD's blessing

 
As Jacob is running away from his immediate family (to his paternal uncle's family), the LORD revealed Himself to Jacob in a dream and renewed His covenant with Abraham and Isaac.  The LORD proceeds to bless Jacob with wives, sons, and wealth as he works for his uncle Laban for at least 14 years.
 
It is a blessing even to know of the LORD, but it is incredible to know Him personally!  What's more, by grace through faith, we may cooperate with Him to accomplish His superior plan!  Can you believe it?!!!  The thought of a weak, depraved, and finite being like myself actually cooperating with the perfectly-holy, infinite Creator of the universe just boggles the mind.  How absurd!  No, dear friend - it is made possible by the shed blood of His Son, Jesus Christ.
 
The LORD has blessed me more than I could realize, even if I spent the rest of my life trying.  He has blessed me with my compassionate and beautiful wife (my high school sweetheart) who seeks the LORD.  He has saved my marriage from destruction and turned my drifting heart toward Him again and again.  He blessed me with godly parents, wonderful brothers, and a great life growing up on the farm.  Plenty of food, clean water to drink; elementary, middle, and high school, collegiate, and graduate educations; these are blessings that even many in the US are not afforded. 
 
Why did God choose to bless Jacob?  Why has He blessed me so much, while others do not experience so much blessing, and some have not even heard His Name?  Is it because of something I did?  No way!  It is because of His mercy and grace!  I am humbled when I think about how He has blessed me, because I am worthless - before Christ, I was just an object of wrath.  ( Ephesians 2:1-10)
Lamentations 3:22-23
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
       for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
       great is your faithfulness.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your infinite love that keeps us from the fires of Hell and damnation.  Thank you for revealing yourself to us, not only so that we may know of you, but that we may know you as a dear Father through the Son.  Lord, it is hard to believe that when in Faith I obey you, then I am actually cooperating with you to accomplish your good plan for my life and others around me.  Lord, as you blessed Jacob in the Abrahamic covenant, I pray that you will bless me in the New Covenant.  Lord, I pray that you will make me an Overcomer!  I ask you this in the precious name of Jesus Christ, the perfect Lamb that takes away the sins of the world.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment