Thursday, January 31, 2008

all those names

 
After ignorantly but valiantly wading through a hundred and fifty names in 1 Chronicles and Genesis that were transmutilated into English from the original Hebrew, I thought to myself, "Maybe I should investigate the proper pronunciation of the Hebrew names."  I did a quick search and found two interesting websites:
 
Now, I have no way of confirming the validity of these claims, but it seems consistent with what I've heard a few respected, seminary-educated Brothers say.  Henceforth, I shall attempt to integrate these rules of pronunciation into my reading of the Scriptures.  Granted, it doesn't make an enormous theological difference, but it does help elucidate some of the meanings.  And it helps me get into the cultural mindset of the ancient Israelites, which is fun.
 
I think this is cool - Gen. 47:7-10:

7 Joseph then brought his father Jacob and presented him before Pharaoh, and Jacob blessed Pharaoh. 8 Then Pharaoh said to Jacob, "How many years have you lived?"   9 Jacob said to Pharaoh, "My pilgrimage has lasted 130 years. My years have been few and hard, and they have not surpassed the years of my fathers during their pilgrimages." 10 So Jacob blessed Pharaoh and departed from Pharaoh's presence.

Not only did Jacob bless Pharaoh (as opposed to the other way around, which subtly indicates Jacob's superiority over Pharaoh), but I just think it's cool that Jacob used the term "pilgrimage."  It's like John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress; we Christians are on a pilgrimage of sanctification from spiritual birth (justification) to final glorification.  It's neat to see an OT example of someone on a mission/journey of following the LORD.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I pray that I will live in your presence today.  LORD, I want to know your will and obey you in a humble and genuine fellowship.  Lord, I ask that you will use me in my pilgrimage to help others get started on a pilgrimage and to encourage others along in their pilgrimage.  Lord, I ask that you bless me and expand my territory.  May I live according to your grace.  I pray this in the name of my Savior, Iesous Christos.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment