Tuesday, January 22, 2008

knucklehead

 
Having just been through some of the most incredible stories of faith with Abraham, and seeing the LORD's mighty hand at work, why in the world does Abraham need another wife/concubine (Ketura), let alone six more children?  The child of the Promise was already there!  The text has no record of the LORD instructing Abraham to have more children, so I'm speculating that Abraham just got a hankerin' to do his own thing.  From my retrospective assessment, I think I can honestly say, "That was stupid, Abraham!  What were you thinking?!"
 
Sadly, it's true to real life.  We go through some great experience with the LORD, and then we turn around and do something stupid.  I was just talking to a Brother yesterday about how many American "Christians" are guilty of the sins of complacency and drifting from the LORD.  In fact, our previous Sunday School lesson was about the Israelites miraculously coming out of Egypt, receiving the Ten Commandments, and then balking the entrance to the Promise Land.  I asked the question in Sunday School, "What do we do to ensure that we don't drift away from the Lord?"  The answers are obvious and practical: read the Scriptures daily, pray consistently and genuinely, and maintain accountability in fellowship with other Believers.  Faithful iimplementation is the challenge.  You also have to be careful not to turn into a Pharisee.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, don't let me slip away.  Lord, I want to draw close to you, and I pray that you will draw close to me.  I need you, Jesus, to be right here with me; thank you that you are.  Lord, turn my heart toward you, and may I despise the things of this world.  Lord, please sanctify me for your work; may I live the Overcomer's life today.  Lord Jesus, I ask for victory in your name!  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks you for your blogs, I am adding you to my page, I am from Austin, Round Rock, I am a senior at Liberty and doing an internship with a ministry out here. I will be reding what you post. Thanks again,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan. Your comment means a lot. I appreciate your input, in particular, how Scriptures apply to your life.

    May the LORD bless you richly in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete