Thursday, March 22, 2007

focus and the will of God

 
I met two Brothers for lunch yesterday, and we discussed the significance of focus.  For instance, when Satan originally messed up, he was looking at himself and how "great" he was.  When Adam and Eve sinned in the garden, they were looking at how appealing the fruit was.  I was searching the OT for something else and ran across the following verses in Deut. 7 where Moses is instructing the Israelites before they go in to take possession of the Promised Land:
 
24 He will give their kings into your hand, and you will wipe out their names from under heaven. No one will be able to stand up against you; you will destroy them. 25 The images of their gods you are to burn in the fire. Do not covet the silver and gold on them, and do not take it for yourselves, or you will be ensnared by it, for it is detestable to the LORD your God. 26 Do not bring a detestable thing into your house or you, like it, will be set apart for destruction. Utterly abhor and detest it, for it is set apart for destruction.
 
Contrast that one with Hebrews 12:1-2 (one of my favorites):
 
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
 
The critical point is your FOCUS.  What are you focusing your thoughts, physical vision, and time on?  Make sure it's Jesus first and doing his will.
 
We had a guest preacher at our church last night for a Missions emphasis week.  His sermon was on the topic of God's Will for your life, personally.  The text from which he preached was Acts 21:1-16, where Paul would not be dissuaded from God's Will for him to go to Jerusalem, even though it was clear there would be trouble.  The pastor's points were:
- The Will of the Lord can lead to Difficult Partings
- The Will of the Lord can lead to Determined Priority
- The Will of the Lord can cost a Dear Price
- The Will of the Lord can lead others into Devoted Purpose
 
My "yes" is on the table.  I'm just waiting for God to fill in the details.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, please help me focus on you first, above all else.  Please help me keep my eyes of myself and anything distracting.  I want to do your Will.  I know that you have a good plan for me, so please work it out in my life.  I want you to use my life to glorify Yourself and help others know Who You Are.  I pray this in Jesus' Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment