Friday, March 23, 2007

Wisdom

 
There is a common theme of wisdom among these scriptures.  Here is a sampling from Proverbs:
 
Prov. 23:12, 15, 19, 23, 26 -
12 Commit yourself to instruction;
      listen carefully to words of knowledge.
15 My child, if your heart is wise,
      my own heart will rejoice!
19 My child, listen and be wise:
      Keep your heart on the right course.
23 Get the truth and never sell it;
      also get wisdom, discipline, and good judgment.
26 O my son, give me your heart.
      May your eyes take delight in following my ways.
The first two chapters of Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth comment significantly on wisdom.  I think 1 Corinthians 1:18-31 and all of 1 Corinthians 2 help us understand the significance of the book of Proverbs.  For instance, I think 1 Corinthians 1:24 and 30 sum it up nicely:
 
 24 But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.
 30 God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing your wisdom to me and calling me to salvation.  Thank you for continuing to speak to me through the Holy Spirit's presence in my life.  Please help me walk in the Spirit by obeying the Truth and exercising Wisdom, discipline, and discernment.  Heavenly Father, I give you my heart, and my eyes delight in following your ways.  I pray in Jesus' Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment