Friday, March 16, 2007

perspective

 
I went to lunch with my cousin today, and one of the things he told me God was teaching him is that we need to approach scripture from a perspective of "What does this scripture explain about who God is?"  Out of this perspective, then we can more appropriately ask, "How does this apply to me?"  Otherwise, we fool ourselves by coming to scripture with biases and introspectively ask, "What can this scripture do for me?"
 
I think this ties in well with Proverbs 16:2 and 25:
2 People may be pure in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their motives.
25 There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death.
 
See, the problem is, our flesh is broken to start with, and there is no way we can learn about God or know Him unless He reveals Himself to us.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, please teach me to search for you in scripture instead of just approaching it selfishly.  Please teach me to want to know you above all else, and please continue to reveal yourself to me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment