Tuesday, March 27, 2007

suffering

 
Matthew 27:26 So Pilate released Barabbas to them. He ordered Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip, then turned him over to the Roman soldiers to be crucified.   27 Some of the governor's soldiers took Jesus into their headquarters and called out the entire regiment. 28 They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him. 29 They wove thorn branches into a crown and put it on his head, and they placed a reed stick in his right hand as a scepter. Then they knelt before him in mockery and taunted, "Hail! King of the Jews!" 30 And they spit on him and grabbed the stick and struck him on the head with it. 31 When they were finally tired of mocking him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him again. Then they led him away to be crucified.
 
Why was that necessary?  Wasn't it enough that Jesus (i.e., the Creator) came to earth as a human (i.e., the creation), lived a perfect life, and died for our sins?  Why did he have to suffer by being mocked and beaten?
 
What does this imply about Christians (i.e., little Christs, adopted Sons and Daughters of God) being persecuted by this world as we obey the will of the Father?
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your Son to die for my sins.  I don't really understand why it was necessary that he was so badly mistreated, but I accept that it was part of your perfect plan that I can not fully understand.  I pray that you will lead me into complete obedience to your will, even if that means I will experience persecution and hatred from the world.  I pray in Jesus' Name.  Amen.

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing what people will do in the name of their religious beliefs.

    Just look at what is happening in the Middle East.

    JAV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is amazing. So, how do we make sure we have perfect theology so that we aren't doing anything that God doesn't approve of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is a "perfect theology" even attainable?

    JAV

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that a perfect understanding of God is not possible, especially in this earthly life. However, it still should be our goal. I will pray, read my Bible, live the Christian life, and trust that the Lord will continually reveal more of Himself to me so that I may know Him more and more accurately.

    ReplyDelete