Tuesday, March 6, 2007

prayer

Proverbs 6, Matthew 6, Acts 11, Acts 12

Jesus gives quite a bit of insight on prayer at the beginning of Matthew 6, and it is extremely significant that Jesus makes an ultimatum about forgiveness after the model prayer. I see these major points:
1. Don't pray so that you will get attention. In fact, do the opposite. He knows what you do in private and will reward you accordingly.
2. You don't have to catch God up on everything going on; He is more aware of your circumstances than you are.
3. Pray in such a way that you:
a) give God Glory
b) ask for God's Will to be executed
c) ask for your needs to be met
d) ask for forgiveness
e) ask for strength against the enemy's attacks
4. Forgive others so that you will be forgiven by the Father
5. Don't fast so that you will get attention. In fact, do the opposite. He knows what you do in private and will reward you accordingly.

Jesus sort of sums it up with Matthew 6:33: "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

In Acts 12, we get to see the results of effective prayer: King Herod Agrippa imprisoned Peter, but the night before his trial an angel led him out of jail as the believers were gathered and praying for Peter's safety.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for being omniscient. I praise you for knowing all of my needs and wanting to take care of me. I praise you for knowing what I pray for in private and answering my prayers. I thank you for the confidence it gives me to be a Child of the King. Lord, help me forgive others as you have forgiven me. Teach me to pray. May your will be done. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment