Monday, March 5, 2007

sweet wife

Proverbs 5, Matthew 5, Acts 9, Acts 10

I have been married about 4.5 years, so we've had our share of honeymoon/newlywed times and our rocky times. Over the past year and a half, the Lord has really changed my heart and worked on me in many ways, especially in my relationship with my wife. I have come to appreciate her very much, and I have become more impressed with how the Lord has blessed me. So while this meditation may not be very theologically "deep," I find it significant nonetheless. These verses in Proverbs 5 have really become truth in my life:

18 Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19 She is a loving deer, a graceful doe... May you always be captivated by her love.

As I consider the wonderful ways the Lord has blessed me through my wife, I desire to love her and bless her all the more, which reminds of the mysterious metaphor between earthly marriage versus the love of Christ and the church (Ephesians 5:25-33). This is a practical/experiential component of the Christian life. As we grow in our fear, knowledge, intimacy with Christ, we are able to have a truer relationship with Believers, and especially Believing spouses, in this life.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings you have given me in and through my wife. Please help me honor her and encourage her. Help me cherish her and love her. Help me love her in a way that glorifies your name. Thank you for the sweet experience of knowing her in my relationship with you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment