Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Faith and obedience

Proverbs 7, Matthew 7, Acts 13, Acts 14

There has been much discussion about the purpose and/or effect of works, especially in regard to salvation. I think it is helpful to view this issue through the trilogy of salvation: justification, sanctification, glorification. I believe Scripture clearly states that justification is by Grace through Faith in Christ, and not by works (Eph. 2, Rom. 8). However, sanctification appears to involve suffering in obedience as a mechanism to make us holy (Phil. 3, Heb. 10, John 15). Jesus explains in Matthew 7:19-21 -

19 So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire. 20 Yes, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions.
True Disciples 21 “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter.


This concept is also seen in the life of King David, as Paul cites in Acts 13:22

22 But God removed Saul and replaced him with David, a man about whom God said, ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.’

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please produce the Fruit of the Spirit in my life. Please let my life be characterized by Your Person. Train me to be a man after your own heart as I seek to obey you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment